Jun 22, 2016

The 7 best moments in Ryan Wyer's video for Aphex Twin's CIRKLON3 [ Колхозная mix ]

Aphex Twin has released his first music video since Windowlicker. I know, right? This is a big moment.

The track is called CIRKLON3 [ Колхозная mix ]: it's from his Cheetah EP and it's a corker. To see the video, click those links you just read past.

The video is basically a lo-fi danceathon and it's directed by 12-year-old Ryan Wyer. Ryan was chosen as director after Mr Twin saw his fan video for comeback single minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix], which was all kinds of strange aceness.

Here, in no particular order, are the bits I enjoyed most when I first watched video rather too loudly at work. It's now on repeat.

1 - Hey, it's that lad from the Minipops video! And hey look at the t-shirt!
Honestly, it was a real "hey, Aphex really GETS the internet moment".


2 - The beach that reminded me of the On video and made me go all fuzzy inside.
Which is nice because there's something of the early Aphex about the glowing chords that light up this whole flipping track.


3 - This proper boss move with the hands.
I tried this but I fell over.


4 - The reveal of the mask... aaaargh... I'm never going outside again.
Another "aaah, we're back in Aphexland" moment. If Aphex Twin ever stops smiling, all music will end. This is a fact.


5 - The most sinister and/or coolest DJ in the universe.
If you google 'find edges', you'll spot this filter in use right across the internet - but none of them make someone's face as toothily chilling as this.


6 - This awesome cartwheel.
I tried this but I fell over.


7 - This 'cute' buddy moment that scared the pants off me but was still kinda sweet.
From one Aphex-head to another, nice work, Ryan.


No comments: