Apr 14, 2017
The definitive top ten Aphex Twin facts
To celebrate April 14th, named by many as Aphex Twin day because of his classic 2001 track Avril 14th, here is the definitive top ten facts about everyone's favourite windowlicker.
1. Aphex Twin's real name is Richard D James. The D stands for 'down south' which is where he lives.
2. The '26 Mixes For Cash' scandal nearly ruined his career. Since then, it has been illegal for members of the House of Lords to procure drill 'n' bass remixes without declaring them.
3. Aphex Twin once owned a tank. His favourite trick was to put a goldfish on the passenger seat and ask it "how do you drive this thing".
4. His comeback album Syro used, at some point in the recording process, every instrument ever created. Apart from the five-string banjo. And the tuba.
5. The old woman who gets screamed at in the Come To Daddy video was played by Aphex Twin after a particularly long day in the studio.
6. Aphex Twin made tracks while lucid dreaming. He installed a full studio inside his head, enabling him to work while asleep. This is why he has a USB port in the side of his head.
7. He once uploaded so many tracks to Soundcloud, Ed Sheeran has been number one ever since.
8. His first album was Selected Ambient Works 85-92, which incidentally are also the measurements of his bust and hips.
9. His pseudonyms have included: Nasty Window, Twinny McTwinface, Billy Skinhole, Polygon Idiot, Tssk Tssk, Hello Brian, Susan Boyle, Caustic Postman and AFC BOURNEMOUTH.
10. Aphex Twin has wonderfully soft hair. He puts this down to never playing the tuba. No-one likes tuba.
Futher Fats: 26 Mixes For Cats: gratuitous twits and puns (2011)
Further Fats: Top ten ways to write a top ten music list (2012)
Further Fats: All things Aphex Twin