Oct 3, 2026

Surrealist horror acid from Isn’t Ours


The nights are drawing in and leaves are piling everywhere. Time to shake off the summer cheer with some spooky and decidedly filthy 303 techno. Presenting the Zigeunerweisen EP by Queens-based electronic music twiddler Isn’t Ours. It's grubby stuff.

The sounds may be spacey and futuristic, but this is an EP that reaches into the past. Zigeunerweisen is named after a 1980 surrealist horror film, itself named after an orchestral piece by 19th century composer Pablo de Sarasate. Pablo had an impressive moustache, although this particular element can’t be heard in Isn’t Ours’ EP.

Why “Zigeunerweisen”? It’s German for ‘Gypsy airs’, which sounds like we’re getting into dangerously un-PC territory. And you’d be right, kind of. Pablo de Sarasate gave this title to his music because he reckoned the melodies sounded a bit Romani. He was wrong – he had been listening instead to traditional Hungarian music instead. Hairy face, but cloth ears.

Isn’t Ours unearthed these tracks from 2017 recording sessions, and he’s helped blow the dust off by including brand new remixes on the EP from labelmates 504 Aquatic and dr. buttons. And yes, that’s Doctor Buttons, which is a better name that Fat Roland. I salute you, Doc Butt.

Isn’t Ours – real name Mike Sheffield – doesn’t have a huge internet presence, it seems. While looking for music to embed (I failed), I did find another Mike Sheffield on YouTube Music who writes country songs called things like ‘Truck Driving Fool’ and ‘I Think I’ll Get Stoned’. I’ll stick with the spacey futuristic version of Mike Sheffield, thanks anyway.

Listen to Zigeunerweisen EP by Isn’t Ours here.

Further Fats: Ed Sheeran is here to destroy us all (2017)

Further Fats: I recommend three, oh, three great acid tracks (2020)

No comments: