Dec 30, 2021

Best electronic music albums 2021: an introduction

Best Electronic Music Albums 2021

Welcome to my top massive brilliant albums countdown for 2021. I'm going to drizzle you with so much great electronic music, your earlobes will become towels.

I've done this end-of-year list since before Jesus was a twinkle in a donkey's eye. See all my previous best-of blogging here. 

This year will be a little different. I've grown uncomfortable with the arbitrary nature of a numbered countdown. I'm not sure that format suits someone as fickle as me. I can't even decide every morning whether to brush my teeth with toothpaste or Primula. It's time for a change. I'm going to try pile cream instead.

I have 90 favourite albums to tell you about. I have collated those 90 albums into the following groups: none of these albums will have specific numbers allocated to them, other than being in their wider grouping.

Top 90 Electronic Music Albums – what would have otherwise been numbers 90 to 61

Top 60 Electronic Music Albums – what would have otherwise been numbers 60 to 31

Top 30 Electronic Music Albums – what would have otherwise been numbers 30 to 11

Top 10 Electronic Music Albums – what would have otherwise been numbers 10 to 1

In each group, instead of having the albums counted down Top of the Pops-style, they will be listed alphabetically by artist. The one exception is, I will still have a number one best album. I still like the idea of having one "winner" even though I will have changed my mind two weeks after publishing it.

I hope that makes sense. If numbers confuse you, please play Kraftwerk's Pocket Calculator until you understand.

The other thing to know is that I like every single album on this list. It's not designed to be comprehensive, and I will have missed some obvious things off, but chances are if I've appreciated an album, it will be included here. Every dang note of music I'm about to link to is worthy of your attention, whichever group it's in.

Ready? Let's go. The list will appear as hourly blog posts throughout December 30th and 31st, with several albums in each post, with the final number one bestest album revealed on the evening of the 31st. I haven't written a single word of any of this yet, so I'd better knuckle down.

Stand by...

No comments: