Dec 31, 2022

Top 10 electronic music albums of 2022: O'Flynn and Frazer Ray – Shimmer


You are reading Fat Roland's favourite albums of 2022. Fat Roland: that's me. You might remember me from Fat Roland's favourite albums of 2022. Let's chug on.

O'Flynn and Frazer Ray: Shimmer (Technicolour)

I’m live-blogging this 2022 album countdown, so I don’t have an awful lot of time for research. I know that Frazer Ray is also known as Soundbwoy Killah and produces a neat line in bass-burning breaks. I know that O'Flynn was responsible for Otomo, the Bulgarian choir-sampling highlight of Bonobo’s latest album. And I know they’ve produced a killer collaborative album in the shape of Shimmer. In a wild ride from start to finish, it funnels rave culture into fractals of Burial, Joy Orbison and UK bass. 

The two were inseparable in the making of this album, with Frazer sleeping on O’Flynn’s floor, and O’Flynn adding richly to Frazer’s minimal production set-up. The result is super tight, stretching deep into urban-inflected bass explorations and high into peaks of euphoric techno. A superb work. Worth knowing.

Curious track: Call For Noise, which feels like Bicep with biceps.

Album feels: It's like being inside a rave that's made only from the memory of that rave.

Cover art: I think someone's spilled some paint. I'll get a mop.

This is part of a series of the Best Electronic Music Albums of 2022. Read it all here.

No comments: