Dec 31, 2022

Top 20 electronic music albums of 2022: Model Home – Saturn In The Basement


This is my countdown of the best electronic albums of 2022, according to my brain, ears and opinion. So far I've mentioned about 60 albums, and we're speeding towards the Top 10. Not before we read about one of the most divisive albums in my list.

Model Home: Saturn In The Basement (Disciples) 

My friend Ben tells me the Model Home album is so awful, he may never trust my music taste again. So in true divisive modern-day Twitter style, let me double down on my recommendation.

This is a collection of Bandcamp mixtape sounds that don’t just borrow influences as kidnap them at gunpoint. Scuzzy hip hop beats, broken noise experiments that sound like they’re being funnelled through your vacuum cleaner, weird and twisting vocals that make no sense. It’s tough, it’s confusing, it’s inexplicably got a 13-minute scree of moans and clanks. And once it gets under your skin, you’ll be annoying your friends with your frustratingly abstract musical opinions too. 

Should have recommended The 1975. You know where you are with The 1975.

From another website: There is something certifiably ’21st century’ to this kind of sound. It is queasy, anxious and misunderstood and deserves your attention. (Louder Than War)

This is part of a series of the Best Electronic Music Albums of 2022. Read it all here.

No comments: