Dec 30, 2020

Best electronic albums of 2020: nine

9 autechre fat roland electronic albums of 2020
9 – Autechre – Sign (Warp)

It was a shame to see Autechre throw away their credibility with an album comprising entirely of cover versions of Ace Of Bass's 1993 hit single The Sign. We forgave them their Nickelback phase, but this was too far.

See what I did there? I did a joke. I'll pause for a moment to leave you time to laugh... Right. Let's get on with it.

Autechre's 14th album Sign saw the duo on a lower burn than usual, their abstractions suspended in a lovely fuzz of ambience or, at the very least, confusing and scary reverberations. For me, playing this at home felt like casting a magical protection spell against the loneliness of autumn lockdowns.

It was certainly evocative. si00 sounded like Actress trapped in a hamster ball. Metaz form8 sounded like a church service populated entirely by bees. By the way, post-Covid, I am going to make both of these things happen.

Next up, I want to hear covers of Dr Alban's 1992 single It's My Life. No wait, this is Autechre, that's too on the nose. Next up, I want to hear covers of Dr Alban's 1991 Finnish hit single (Sing Shi-Wo-Wo) Stop the Pollution.

 


No comments: