Dec 29, 2020

Best electronic albums of 2020: fifteen

15 daniel avery fat roland electronic albums of 2020
15 – Daniel Avery –  Love + Light (Phantasy Sound)

I was really looking forward to seeing Daniel Avery at the Orbit Stage at Bluedot Festival this year. I would be there with my little pink tent, Ugg boots, chocolate fountain, Scalextric set, a full-size Victorian wardrobe: all the camping essentials.

Instead, his third album Love + Light can only point towards the live experience incanted in its thrumming bass drums, electrostatic basslines and machine-smoked synths, then, later in the running order, the pastoral glows of a post-club sunrise.

The great thing about this album is that the loud, thumpy club tracks don't carry the album on their own, although we all love a pumping loop in the face. It needs the softer tracks, and there's a beautiful moment somewhere between A Story In E5 and One More Morning when the spirit of early Aphex lands on this album and gives it a blessing.

Incidentally, you can watch Avery's set from Bluedot's A Weekend in Outer Space. Which reminds me, I mustn't forget to take my 42-inch plasma screen next time I'm camping.

 

No comments: