Dec 29, 2020

Best electronic albums of 2020: thirteen

13 luke vibert fat roland electronic albums of 2020
13 – Luke Vibert – Luke Vibert Presents Amen Andrews / Luke Vibert Presents Modern Rave / Luke Vibert Presents Rave Hop (Hypercolour)

When I pop to the shops to get my daily Sara Lee double-chocolate gateau, I like to buy three. That's in case I drop one on the way home, and another accidentally gets stolen by a wolf. Logical, when you think about it.

I can only assume that was Luke Vibert's logic when he released three albums, called Luke Vibert Presents Amen Andrews, Luke Vibert Presents Modern Rave and Luke Vibert Presents Rave Hop. This trio of treats were dedicated to, respectively, old school jungle, early rave, and hip hop / breakbeat. For the purposes of this albums countdown, I've mushed them into one.

Although Vibert goes for a particular palate in his music (day-glo rave cut and pasted for your dancefloor pleasure), this trilogy gave us three distinct flavours. Amen Andrews, heavily based on the famous drum sample, had a full-on hardcore edge. Modern Rave felt like Altern-8 having a stroke, in a good way.

It's perhaps the strollin' vibes of the more relaxed Rave Hop that wins the day: it's mangling of hip hop and r'n'b is a pleasure to behold, and there are techno tunes galore. But to be honest, if a wolf came for any of these, or indeed the Vibert album I featured at number eighteen, I would punch it on the nose. I WOULD PUNCH IT ON THE NOSE.

 

No comments: