Dec 30, 2016

Best electronic albums of 2016: six


6 – Ulrich Schnauss – No Further Ahead Than Today (Scripted Realities)

When I reviewed this for Electronic Sound, I used words like “sweet” and “saccharine” and “sugar”. I think Mojo likened this to being “like being dosed up with dopamine.” Too much for repeated visits, right? Yet here it is in the top 10 for 2016.

This is the Christmas cake stuck between your teeth. It’s the cheese selection sitting in your belly. It’s every sweet thing that has ever existed. Singing, chord changes, epic swell after epic swell, the perkiest keyboards under the sun. Oh my. I need a lie down.

With A Strangely Isolated Place and Goodbye behind Ulrich Schnauss, this feels like a late-career album. After all, he’s got Tangerine Dream to concentrate on now. Even more impressive then that No Further Ahead Than Today is so technicolour, so smorgasbord, so... everything. And I love it.



Scroll all of the best 2016 electronic albums by clicking here.