Dec 27, 2016

Best electronic albums of 2016: an introduction

Welcome to my end of year list. The only one that matters. That's right... it's time for the ugliest pandas of 2016.

No, wait.

It's time for my top best favouritest electronic albums of 2016. This is my annual countdown of the long-players that have lured my earlobes throughout this most lurid of years. And although I probably write with some authority on the subject having scrawled many words about this kind of gubbins, I guess I should give some disclaimers.

Firstly, this list is not definitive. I've expanded it to a top 20 this year, and there will be another 90-or-so albums that will get the slightest of mentions. That's a lot of mentions. But I looked in an encyclopedia which said there were 32 billion albums released every day in 2016, so I'm going to miss stuff.

Secondly, I'll get things wrong. Opinion is not a static state. I look back on my previous lists (2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009) and curse the day Vengaboys didn't win every single one. I may even edit these blog posts in the days to come. Just drop in a jpeg of the Vengabus or something.

Thirdly, I've missed out compilations. Sorry, Objekt (Kern Vol 3), the immense #savefabric or Houndstooth's impressive Tessellations.

I'm also not bothered about things in the charts that much, even though I've actually bought real life actual concert tickets for Take That, Kylie and Clean Bandit in the past. But as far as this blog goes, I'm looking through a narrow funnel. Literally.

Disclaimers done. I will slowly unfurl the top 20 over the next few days. Follow me on Twitter, where I'll welcome your responses and mentions. If you like a blog post, stick a link on your timeline - that's why I do this: to get more people listening to good noises. The number one album of 2016, which brightened up my year no end, will be revealed at noon on New Year's Eve.

I lied, of course. Pandas aren't ugly. It's your mind that's ugly for even thinking I was serious. Psyche.

You'll see this link at the bottom of all the posts. It may come in useful: Scroll all of the best 2016 electronic albums by clicking here.