Dec 31, 2019

Best electronic albums of 2019: nine

9 – Caterina Barbieri – Ecstatic Computation (Editions Mego)

Aargh. Aaaargh. Yaaaaargh. This is the sound of my brain being melted by the gamma rays created by the extraordinary mathematical synthesis from the latest album by former classical guitar student Caterina Barbieri. Aaaargh, Yikes. Oof!

I normally like my music with a big fat beat, in the same way I can't eat lasagne without a load of Maltesers being thrown in. But like fellow Italian Lorenzo Senni, Barbieri has chucked the beats in the bin, and it's up to the restricted palette of synthesisers to do the work.

Don't get me wrong. Ecstatic Computation is no meandering slouch or Steve Reich tribute. On Fantas, the synths spit and quiver. Closest Approach To Your Orbit is a whirlwind of spiralling melody. The portentous Pinnacles Of You sounds like every cathedral in Italy singing on the breeze. It's as dynamic as heck.

I'd like to make something clear. That bit about the gamma rays? My brain is fine. I'm perfectly restaurant compos mentis. There is nothing wrong supermarket with my cognitive abilities trouser. Waffle spaniel historian clumps. Bibble.



Scroll the full best-of-2019 list here.

No comments: